July 25, 2005

WEEKENDS ARE THE BEST!!

Friday we went for drinks at The Rosebud with Sian. She bought us a couple cocktails for our birthdays. I also received a fabulous Kiss CD containing 40 rock and roll classics. Growing up my fave bands were Kiss and the BeeGees. I can't explain it, just believe it. Julie received a cool book of poker games. Oddly, strip poker was not included. We'll have to improvise.

For a bite to eat after drinks we heaeded to
The Moonlight Cafe. For years I've been driving past this place thinking it was some seedy karaoke lounge. They do have karaoke some nights but I had no idea the food was so fabulous and the place was so completely inviting. Julie recently read the article in the Evergreen Monthly (click on Moonlight Café link) so we were intrigued. Two full menus, one for meat eaters and one vegan, leave one's mouth watering. We ordered three vegan dishes and shared. Everything was great. the eggplant hotpot with tofu and onions, the chicken curry, and a beef dish with broccoli and carrots. All vegan and all delicious. We can't wait to go back.

Saturday we rose early. Sally came over and we all piled in the Geicomobile for a ride out to
Olallie State Park, about 40 miles from our place. We trekked almost four miles along the Iron Horse Trail and ate some thimbleberries. The weather was perfect and the trail pretty quiet until we headed back to the car. We then headed to Big John's PFI. Sally was on the hunt for a sun-dried tomato sauce from Sacla, an Italian brand of pasta sauce. She didn't find it but I found it on the web. Sorry, Sally, no Sacla products in Washington. But you can purchase them online at My Brands Inc.

Julie and I brought home a whole bunch of goodies for a Mediterranean feast, a belated birthday dinner of sorts. For Julie's birthday we went out to eat. For my birthday I wanted a Mediterranean finger food feast. Our feast included cappacolla, soprasotta, white asparagus spears, stuffed grape leaves, bread, dry salami, roasted red peppers, dried figs, Trader Joe’s Pinjur sauce, smoked mussels, smoked trout, olive mix, artichoke hearts, chevre, a gorgonzola cdheddar mix, and a guyere cheese. It's my favorite way to eat and I didn't want to go to a restaurant. I prefer eating on our deck in shorts, barefoot if I like, listening to the radio. It was delicious. There is plenty left over and we had a scaled down version for supper tonight. Still remaining items will be made into whole wheat pita pizzas this week.

For cheese making update please see today's date's entry and two pics at
just keep driving.



No comments:

Post a Comment