June 21, 2005

FIRST DAY OF SUMMER - NOT

The first day of summer (and the longest day of the year) is a lesson in patience. It's raining, it's dark, there's lightning and thunder. Cleveland, can you hear me? On a day that can potentially display sunlight until after 10 pm, it already looks like 10 pm at 4:30. I'm relatively wet from my walk from the bus and the yardwork I did harvesting stuff for a stir fry. Rain doesn't bother me like it used to. I can do yardwork in the rain here but never back home. The rain is different here. The rain seems more comfortable with itslef here. And I don't feel as if I'm invading its space by letting it fall around me.

When it rains the bus is very crowded and very loud. 14 different conversations and none of them interesting. Again, if I ruled, there would be no talking on the bus. I sank into my latest book, Tibet, Tibet: A Personal History of a Lost Land, by Patrick French. It's history, travel writing and memoir all in one. I dig it. I'm learning a great deal about Tibet from the people who live it.

Back to the kitchen. Dishes to be done from last night, bok choi to wash for tonight, rice to cook, and still more vacation work to do. Two days! By this time Thursday we will be solidly stuck in traffic on I-5 South but we will be ON VACATION.

No comments:

Post a Comment