April 17, 2008

Global Warming?

Speaking of weather, I think February was nicer than March. March was the coldest in decades. Veggie gardens around town are slow in growing. I thought I'd be eating arugula by now but it's just sitting there, not quite 2 inches tall. My broccoli has it’s first set of true leaves but that’s it. And those I planted as established starts! My onion patch, however, is perfectly content. But I’m doing what I can, besides waiting and brooding, to encourage urban growth. My little greenhouse is full of basil, catnip, peas, beans, sunflowers, chard, and tiny pumpkins in various stages of germination.

Other yard projects included laying down a whole new layer of gravel - ourselves. We also replaced the bricks removed by the contractor when he repaired a leak in the outside drain from the gutter. We changed the shape of things a bit and removed a plant or two. I like the simple rustic look. It gets alot of traffic from us so it needs to be user-friendly. Local weather folks are calling for freezing temps again so I will delay - again - putting in more veggie starts. Errrrrrrrrrrrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment