May 01, 2006

Chipotle Black Bean Burgers


Found this recipe on 28 Cooks. Of course, their photos looks much nicer. We were enjoying the food too much to photograph it when it actually looked nice on the plate. This is today's leftover lunch to take to work. But you get the idea.

Of course, I doctored the recipe to suit my taste but not by much. First, I didn't measure any of this stuff. I usually find recipe measurements restrictive. Most recipes need more flavor. I used dried black beans that I soaked overnight. In the saute I also added corn and a small dice of carrot, more garlic and a few dashes of garlic podwer and cumin. I went easy on the chipotle and adobo to play it safe. We have plenty of condiments to spice up food if it falls short of anyone's hot and spicy expectations. As it turned out, the burgers had a nice bite and a wonderful smokey flavor, enhanced by the mesquite woodchips used to grill them. We used a smaller grill grate and the burgers held up pretty well. I'm thinking of a couple of ideas to make them moister. I'm not giving up any secrets just yet.

The yogurt sauce is delicious too. I used more of everything called for, except sugar. But I also made a bigger batch than 4 oz. Who the hell uses only 4 oz. of anything? I'm a condiment whore. I used fat-free plain yogurt - Nancy's is my favorite brand. It's thick and has a nice tang. We served these along with grilled zucchini and roasted sweet potatoes with cumin, sambar, cayenne, and chili powder. It's a Cafe Flora inspired recipe that we make again and again. Of course, I put my own twist on it. I add chopped onion, garlic, a carrot and because I had one, half of a yellow bell pepper. Why would you roast just sweet potato? Come on.

No comments:

Post a Comment