April 04, 2006

Welcome Back, Veggie Chili

It’s been a while but last night while making dinner I threw together a quick veggie chili to have for lunches this week or to freeze for the future. As long as I’m chopping ingredients for a salad, I might as well keep chopping.

In a bit of olive oil I sautéed garlic, big chunks of red onion, sliced carrots, zucchini, orange bell pepper, and one roasted and seeded ancho chili. While the veggies are getting a bit of brown on them, I season the mix with homemade sambar powder, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and some crushed black pepper. I always make sure to cook my spices. The taste of raw spices in a dish is a turn-off.

Once the veggies are a little brown (that’s where the flavor comes from!) I added a quart of tomatoes we canned last September. Smelled wonderfully fresh. And then a can of kidney beans in some Cajun seasoning. To help empty a bottle of Spicy V-8, a splash of that was added. Let this simmer for about 15-20 mins. then remove from the heat and wow, very tasty. It’s got flavor, it’s got heat, it’s thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment