August 11, 2008

Sammamish River Trail

Sunday we returned to the Sammamish River Trail(SRT). We had been once before a week prior but wanted to go further. The SRT is a paved multi-use trail running from Bothell to Marymoor Park in Redmond. Like the Green River Trail, this trail runs 10.9 miles along, you guessed it, the Sammamish River. The Burke-Gilman trail connects to the SRT near Blyth Park in Bothell. We started near Wayne Golf Course around 96th Ave. NE and headed east all the way to the end of the SRT in Redmond. We made it a bit passed NE 90th. I couldn't find a name for the little park in which this Native house replica pictured above is being built.

I didn't get a chance to shoot too many photos and the trail was more crowded than I prefer. Next time we'll get an earlier start. We put in a very respectable 20.21 miles round trip, our new personal best. This included a short stop at Redhook Brewery for lunch. Also close to the trail are the Columbia Winery and Chateau St. Michelle Winery. However, our attire and our appearance was more suited for Redhook. Plus, there is always a large crowd of cyclists there so helmet hair and dusty legs don't turn any heads.
Four huge dragonflies greet you, two at either end, when you pedal off the trail and onto a short bridge that leads to The Herb Farm and Redhook.
Nearly tame rabbits hang out in the brush by the parking lot at the Sammamish River Park. This rabbit was spread out in the cool dirt to beat the heat.
The are around the little parking lot at the same park is home to at least a dozen roosters, all of whom try to out crow this guy. He was definitely the loudest.

For the record, that's iced-tea in my glass. As good as a cold beer sounded, I knew I needed real fluids. Water for sure and a bit of caffeine as a compromise.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:05 AM

    I used to ride my bike along that trail every day! AND, I had a REALLY good time at the Redhook Brewery last time I was home...maybe too good of a time. I go there to get the Northwest salmon sandwich EVERY time I go home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHen are you headed this way again, D?

    ReplyDelete